Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Byron Bay Blues Festival

I was very lucky to attend the Byron Bay Blues Festival yesterday - I had a great time seeing a whole range of different musicians play. Some of the artists I saw included Watermelon Slim, Tony Joe White, Eugene "Hideaway" Bridges, Tom Freund, Luka Bloom, Jackson Firebird, The Stiff Gins, Paul Patten and Paul Kelly.

I was also very excited to see the Saltwater Band play. This is a great Indigenous Australian band with a glorious sound highlighting the true beauty of their culture and who kept us dancing for over an hour.





















Later in the evening I was thrilled to see Blue King Brown's set. They are a truly amazing band and their live show is even better than their album. The level of musicianship was astonishing and as always they were very political. Their lead singer, Natalie, spoke of the changes that are taking place at present with respect to global consciousness and the emergence of a global community.


















The last show I saw for the night was the John Butler Trio who were awesome. They were very entertaining and they played some of my favorite songs including Treat Yo Mama and The Gov Did Nothing. John Butler also spoke at length about a movement to save the Kimberley and plans to construct a gas plant in Broome with particular concerns for Indigenous land rights as well as the impact on the environment. You can find out more information here.

(They were so popular and I was getting very squashed near the front so as you can see I ended up near a big screen.)















I really had a great day as did around 17,000 others who braved the rain and mud to see some excellent artists.

No comments: