Thursday, December 29, 2011

Happy Public Domain Day

Happy New Year from Pirate Party Australia! from piratepartyau on Vimeo.

I actually think this is wrong - please correct me if you think its right... the copyright extension that commenced in Australia on 1 January 2005 was not retroactive ... so works where the author died before 1 January 1955 and subject matter other than works such as film and sound recordings that were published before the authors death and before 1 January 1955 only had a +50 year term meaning as they had already entered the public domain they were uneffected by the copyright term extension. To me this means that nothing new enters the public domain this year in Australia. Copyright as usual is clear as mud but this is the best I can make of the information I have on hand at the moment - please let me know what you think in the comments. Check out the info from the Attorney General on the term extension here.

No comments: