Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dan Bull Auction

I am curious about the current auction by Dan Bull of a custom written song. You can see the ebay page here. This is the first time I have heard of ebay being used for this purpose and already the current bid is £595 with still 3 days left to bid. It will be interesting to see how high the bids go. On the auction page he writes:

Hello, my name is Daniel and I make songs. You can see my stuff by typing "Dan Bull" into YouTube. I've decided to find out what my music is really worth so I'm sticking myself on eBay. The winning bidder will receive:

  • One song on any topic of your choice, written, performed and produced by Dan Bull. Duration: 2.30 - 3.30 approx. I will liaise with you via e-mail if there any specific details you wish to include in the song. You will be free to use and redistribute this song in any way you wish, however I reserve the right to do the same. The song will be delivered to you in MP3 format within 14 days of the winning bid.
Get bidding now, because this may never happen again. Love from Dan :) x

This is certainly an inventive new business model - one Australian comedy group called Tripod do this once a week on their facebook page without making any money out of it - but still an interesting new way to use the internet to support artists and encourage new creations. I like that he reserves the rights to distribute the song independently of its creation and could see this being a more regular event if the interest remains. It will be interesting to see what sort of lyrics he is required to write - its a bold step in artistic integrity to offer to write about anything the buyer wants particularly if it ends up being a politically sensitive topic.

No comments: